Harecastle's Canal and Railway Tunnels
Traces the history of the two canal and three railway tunnels driven through Harecastle Hill in North Staffordshire.
The canal tunnels had been opened by the Trent & Mersey Canal, the first (Brindley) in 1775, and the second (Telford) in 1827. The canal company was taken over by the North Staffordshire Railway and the three railway tunnels were opened thereafter - today only Telford’s tunnel remains open.
The history of all these tunnels, and the electric tugs used in Telford’s tunnel for many years, is well told in this highly interesting book. 208 pages, well illustrated with B&W and some colour photos and illustrations, maps etc. Hardbound.