The Snailbeach District Railways
The first full history of this little known 2’6” gauge line, located 12 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Opened in 1877, largely to carry ore from the Snailbeach mine, and never passenger carrying, the last section of the line didn’t close until 1959, so it was long lived.
Steam locomotives came from Barclays, Bagnall, Kerr Stuart and Baldwin, in the form of re-gauged ex WD 4-6-0s.
An exemplary history, not just of the line and its equipment, but of the mines and quarry it served, and the people who created, managed and worked it.
223 pages. Large number of B&W photos, drawings, and a map. Hardbound.